Scottish Cup Recap: Cameron Carter-Vickers, Celtic Knocked Out By Rangers

2 minutes, 18 seconds Read

Cameron Carter-Vickers and Celtic were denied a chance to complete the Scottish season with a treble an own goal saw them beaten by city rivals Rangers in the semifinals of the Scottish Cup.

Celtic 1-2 Rangers

A Celtic own goal in extra time saw Rangers get passage to the Scottish Cup final in a highly-charged game at Hampden Park.

Cameron Carter-Vickers went the distance for the Hoops while James Sands watched all of the action from the bench for Rangers.

When the two Glasgow rivals in either league or cup competition, the intensity level will certainly go into overdrive as both look to get a leg up on the other. This game was no different Celtic was looking to maintain their pursuit of a treble, while Rangers looked to take a piece of silverware for the season.

The action was thick and fast from the whistle as both sides had chances to open the scoring. Rangers had the better of the chances in the first half when John Lundstram fired in a curling effort from distance, but was denied the goal as it came crashing off the post.

The intensity in this game did not die down as it entered the second half as Rangers came close to breaking the scoreless deadlock again, with Ryan Kent’s shot from the edge of the area bouncing just wide of the mark.

However, it would be Celtic that finally opened the scoring in the 64th minute when Callum McGregor’s quick free-kick caught their opponents off guard and Greg Taylor’s shot in the 12-yard box beat goalkeeper Jonathan McLaughlin at the near post.

The momentum had swung the way of the Hoops as they pushed hard to extend their lead. Carter-Vickers came close to etching his name in Celtic folklore once again when was given the chance to score, but his effort bounced off the crossbar.

The American center-back’s unlucky effort gave Rangers the opportunity to level the score, and they did in the 78th minute when Scott Arfield, who had come on three minutes earlier, put his shot past Joe Hart to the delight of the blue half of Hampden Park.

The game headed to extra time and again both sides had chances to add to the scoresheet. However, with only five minutes left, Rangers made a push when Calvin Bassey came down the left side with the ball and sent it towards the center only for Celtic’s Carl Starfelt to poke the ball into his own net.

A heartbreaking way to end the game, but Rangers certainly celebrated as they march on to the final.


In the other semifinal, Christopher Mueller only came on for a few minutes as Hibernian was knocked by Hearts in a 2-1 defeat.


Kenya Brown

Born in America, but raised in Europe and Asia, Kenya has loved soccer ever since his parents put a ball at his feet. While covering some of the top U.S. players around Europe, he loves putting the spotlight on players who are based in leagues off the beaten path. He also interviews coaches and other people in the game to gain more insight.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: