Scottish Recap: CCV, Celtic Down Harkes, Dundee United For Shutout Win

2 minutes, 44 seconds Read

Cameron Carter-Vickers returned to Celtic’s starting lineup as they blanked Ian Harkes and Dundee United, while Christian Ramirez’s double for Aberdeen helped them to the win over St. Mirren.

Dundee United 0-3 Celtic

Celtic was dominant from start to finish and recorded another clean sheet to cruise past Dundee United at Tannadice Park.

Cameron Carter-Vickers made his return to the starting lineup for the Hoops after missing their previous game due to a personal issue, completing 93 percent of his passes, winning an aerial battle, registering an assist, and putting one shot on target. Ian Harkes, on the other end, had a quiet day for the Tangerines, completing 70 percent of his passes.

Tom Rogic got things going for the visitors in the 19th minute as he carved up United’s defense, dribbling past three players, before curling his shot past goalkeeper Benjamin Siegrist. They came close to doubling their lead later on when Carter-Vickers put David Turnbull’s corner kick on target, but Siegrist was able to parry it away.

Turnbull would put Celtic two goals ahead in the 40th minute when he got his foot on a lobbed pass from Callum McGregor and flicked the ball over the goalkeeper before punching it home.

The visitors pressed for more goals and should have scored a couple more as the second half progressed, but Siegrist did well to keep the score at 2-0 with some key saves.

However, he could not stop everything as Celtic was able to get a third in the 81st minute. Liel Abada’s cross from the right rolled past a ball-watching United backline, allowing Liam Scales to slot it home.

The win leaves Celtic in second place in the standings with 35 points, while Dundee United remains in fourth place with 25 points.

Aberdeen 4-1 St. Mirren

Christian Ramirez and Marley Watkins were on target for Aberdeen as they made it back-to-back wins with their victory over St. Mirren at Pittodrie Stadium.

Ramirez went the distance for the Dons, completing 87 percent of his passes and taking five shots.

The hosts jumped to the lead just six minutes into the contest when Watkins was left unmarked to head Funso Ojo’s free-kick on target. St. Mirren goalkeeper Jak Alnwick blocked the attempt, but Watkins pounced on the loose ball to punch into the back of the net.

Aberdeen did not have to wait long to double their lead as Ramirez got the scoresheet. Jay Emmanuel-Thomas’ attempted shot took a fortunate deflection towards the American striker and he fired his shot into the goal.

St. Mirren did not let the two-goal deficit deter them from competing and they got one back in the 40th minute through Scott Tanser when Matthew Millar’s cross from the right side bounced into the path of the Englishman who sent his shot past goalkeeper Joe Lewis.

However, Watkins restored Aberdeen’s two-goal lead a minute later with a shot just inside the area.

There was no looking back as the hosts firmly had control of the game and Ramirez sealed it for them with his second goal on the night in the 78th minute when he was left unmarked to tap Teddy Jenk’s cross.

The win moves Aberdeen up to sixth place in the standings with 21 points.


Kenya Brown

Born in America, but raised in Europe and Asia, Kenya has loved soccer ever since his parents put a ball at his feet. While covering some of the top U.S. players around Europe, he loves putting the spotlight on players who are based in leagues off the beaten path. He also interviews coaches and other people in the game to gain more insight.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: