German Cup Recap: Scally, Pefok Score to Help Teams Advance

3 minutes, 42 seconds Read

Joe Scally got his name on the scoresheet as Borussia Mönchengladbach trounced Oberachern while Jordan Pefok bagged his first official goal for Union Berlin as they pipped Chemnitzer in the first round of the German Cup.

Oberachern 1 – 9 Borussia Mönchengladbach

Borussia Monchengladbach was relentless from start to finish as they thoroughly dominated Oberachern to advance to the next round of the German Cup with a comfortable win at the Dreisam Stadion.

Joe Scally would start at right-back and play 76 minutes, completing 95 percent of his passes and winning five duels in the process.

Marcus Thuram gave the visitors the lead after two minutes when Lars Stindl played the ball to the Frenchman who put his shot past goalkeeper Mark Redl with ease. He scored his second on the day 20 minutes later when he ran onto a low cross from Jonas Hofmann to tap into the goal.

Thuram wrapped up his hat-trick in the 36th minute when he was released by Stindl with a through ball that literally allowed him to walk the ball across the goal line.

Hofmann grabbed a goal for himself a minute later as Stindl provided another assist. Rami Bensenaibi added another for Monchengladbach in the 45th minute followed by a second from Hofmann in stoppage time.

It was more of the same in the second half as Stindl bagged a well-deserved goal just minutes into the restart.

With everyone on the visitors appearing to be in a goal-scoring mood, Scally would get one of his own in the 59th minute. Plea’s through ball gave the American ample time to make a run towards to fire a powerful shot that Redl could not handle.

Oberachern was clearly overmatched, but they eventually scored a goal on their Bundesliga opponents to prevent the shutout. Nico Huber got his strike on target to send the fans in rapturous applause.

However, that goal did not phase ‘Gladbach as Florian Neuhaus rounded out the scoring in the 78th minute following service from Thuram.

Highlights of the game can be viewed here.

Chemnitzer FC 1 – 2 Union Berlin

Jordan Pefok scored the equalizer for Union Berlin, but they would need extra time to overcome their Regionalliga opponents Chemnitzer FC to advance to the next round following a win at Stadion Chemnitz.

Pefok started the game for the capital team as he completed 67 percent of his passes and won nine duels along with three shots in his 105-minute shift.

The first half would end scoreless as Union had a couple of good chances to break the deadlock.

However, the hosts came out in the second half to take the lead in the 62nd minute. Tobias Muller rose up to head in a Kilian Pagliuca free-kick. However, that lead was short-lived as Pefok made his presence known two minutes later. Andreas Voglsammer’s cross found the striker who unleashed an acrobatic strike that caught goalkeeper Jakub Jakubov off guard.

With neither side being able to gain any momentum, the game went into extra time.

Union would eventually grab the winner in the 114th minute when Kevin Behrens ran into the area put a powerful header in the back of the net.

Highlights of the game can be viewed here.


In other action in the first round of the German Cup, Ryan Malone played 79 minutes for Hansa Rostock in their shock 1-0 loss to Lübeck.

Terrence Boyd played 84 minutes for Kaiserslautern as they were eliminated following a 2-1 loss to Freiburg.

Timothy Tillman went the distance while Julian Green played the final 14 minutes as Greuther Fürth was dumped out of the tournament following a 2-0 loss to Stuttgarter Kickers.

Kevin Coleman played 81 minutes for Schwarz-Weiß Rehden as they fell to Sandhausen in a 4-0 defeat.

George Bello came on to play the final 22 minutes as Arminia Bielefeld moved on following a 7-1 win over FV Engers.

Ricardo Pepi played the final 14 minutes while Maurice Malone came on to score a goal in his three-minute shift for Augsburg as they advanced with a 4-0 win over BW Lohne.

Jann George played 10 minutes for Erzebirge Aue in their 3-0 defeat to Mainz.

Kevin Paredes watched from the bench as Wolfsburg came away with the 1-0 win over Carl Zeiss Jena.

Lennard Maloney was rooted to the bench as Heidenheim came away with the 2-0 win over Illertissen.

Tim Chandler was a 67th-minute defensive substitute for Eintracht Frankfurt on Monday in their 4-0 shut-out victory over 1. FC Magdeburg.


Kenya Brown

Born in America, but raised in Europe and Asia, Kenya has loved soccer ever since his parents put a ball at his feet. While covering some of the top U.S. players around Europe, he loves putting the spotlight on players who are based in leagues off the beaten path. He also interviews coaches and other people in the game to gain more insight.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: